Academic Excellence in the Middle School
Academic excellence focuses on ensuring academic and personal growth for every student
- Our classroom curriculum is based on philosophy of the International Baccalaureate (IB) World Programmes, an internationally-recognized education that challenges students both academically and personally.
- We limit class sizes to ensure that teachers are able to provide personal attention for every student. Small classes also ensures that we can nurture students as they strive to become independent and life long learners, incorporating elements of the IB Learner Profile.
- We evaluate our students on both national and international stages.
- Our experienced and talented teachers encourage, inspire, and celebrate our students, every step of the way.
Our classroom curriculum: The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP)
The IB Middle Years Programme focuses on helping students make connections between classroom learning and the real world with the goal of developing creative, critical, and reflective thinkers.
The MYP includes courses in eight subjects:
- Language and literature (English)
- Language acquisition (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese)
- Individuals and societies (Humanities)
- Sciences (Life and earth sciences in Gr 6-8; Theoretical Physics in Gr 9)
- Arts (one semester of art and one semester of music each year)
- Physical and health education
According to the International Baccalaureate Organization, the MYP:
- addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future
- ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups
- requires the study of at least two languages to support students in understanding their own cultures and others
- empowers students to participate in service with the community
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning.
We are Idaho’s most experienced IB World School
Each school develops its own specific curriculum. As Idaho’s most experienced IB World School, our teachers continue to reflect and refine our curriculum on an ongoing basis.
Middle School classes and schedule
Middle School students move from class to class throughout the day. Our schedule alternates days where students attend classes in the six core subjects (English, world language, humanities, science, math, and the arts) and “block” days where students attend a portion of their classes but do so for longer periods of time. Block days enable teachers to plan for extended activities, investigations, or field trips.
Extend learning through our optional summer travel
Each year, students may extend their learning by traveling with classmates and teachers. These optional trips are intended to either pre-teach for the upcoming school year or extend learning from the previous school year.
- At the end of grade 7, students have been traveling to Washington, D.C.
- At the ends of grades 8 and 9, students most recently traveled to Florida. Other destinations have included Vancouver, B.C. and Monterey, CA.