- Consideration phase;
- Request for candidacy / decision on candidacy;
- Candidate phase;
- Request for authorization / decision on authorization.
Following initial authorization, schools undergo regular re-evaluations to ensure ongoing quality and adherence to IB ethos.
Although we share our framework and philosophy, each school develops their own curriculum surrounding that framework.
When parents are considering an IB school, we suggest they:
- Confirm the status for each program they are interested in;
- Ask how long the school has been offering those authorized programs;
- Ask about the training of the teachers, and whether they also serve as IB trainers or examiners;
- Ask about the language, music, arts, PE, and design programs;
- Ask which classes the school offers in the Diploma Programme;
- Ask what percentage of Diploma Programme (Gr 11-12) students are IB candidates seeking the full diploma;
- Ask how successful the students are at achieving the IB diploma and how many receive certificates;
- Ask what other opportunities exist for students to supplement their IB education (outdoor education, leadership opportunities, international student population, etc).
The International Baccalaureate Programmes are robust and complex in order to meet the needs of our youth. There’s a lot to learn! As part of our weekly newsletter, we include a section highlighting features of the IB Programmes – subscribe today!